Do you have a passion for immigration justice?
Let’s team up to highlight your talents and skills to better serve our immigrant communities!
Volunteers and interns play an integral part in ensuring that UURISE provides the best possible services to our immigrant communities. It is due to the support of our volunteers and interns that UURISE is able to provide assistance at low or no cost to a growing number of clients. We offer opportunities that allow for individuals who share our values to contribute their time and talents, from wherever they are located.
- CARE Services
- Assist with CARE Screening submissions from clients/community members
- Advocate with or on behalf of a client with a third party (school, government agency, etc.)
- Resource Navigation
- Assist clients in accessing resources and services there are eligible for regardless of immigration status or future immigration goals.
- ESPI (Emergency Safety Planning for Immigrants)
- Assist clients to develop an Emergency Safety Plan to help avoid catastrophic loss in the event of detention or deportation.
- Legal Services Support
- Organize documentation and evidence
- USCIS application preparation assistance (including data entry)
- Work closely with Legal Service Provider to provide clients with 1:1 guided assistance with their case organization needs
- Translation & Interpretation
- Documentation Translation
- Justice Services
- Outreach for education forums & services
- Creating education & outreach materials
- Connecting congregations & small group ministries doing immigration justice
- Fundraising & Event Planning
- Planning and working on fundraiser events
- Supporting and promoting online fundraisers
- Assist with donor appreciation activities
- Office Admin Support – IN-PERSON ONLY
- Copying & scanning documents
- Organizing physical files and creating ESPI binders
TOPICS OF INTEREST:
- Emergency Safety Planning for Immigrants (ESPI)
- Assisting immigrants to avoid catastrophe in the event of detention or deportation
- Naturalization & Citizenship
- Assisting lawful permanent residents to become U.S. Citizens
- Services for Victims
- Assisting victims of crimes including domestic violence and human trafficking access immigration protections
- Ensuring UURISE has sufficient resources to continue and expand services
- Legal Clinics & Workshops
- Supporting no-cost assistance for group naturalization and DACA renewal processing.
TYPES OF VOLUNTEERS/INTERNS:
- Volunteer – The opportunity to be trained for and to participate in activities and events that work for your schedule
- There is no minimum number of hours. Eligibility for verification of volunteer hours for court-related community service, and honors programs require a pre-approved agreement.
- Internship for Academic Credit – Associated with a particular class for which you can receive credit
- Internships require a semester-long commitment, as well as a minimum number of hours required by your class.
- Non-Credit Internship – Developed between you and UURISE
- Internships require a semester-long commitment, but the minimum number of hours, specific goals, and project areas are set on a case-by-case basis.
- Service Learning – Volunteer opportunities as a component of experiential education through specific classes or programs
- The minimum number of hours required is set by the class or program.
STEPS TO VOLUNTEER OR APPLY FOR AN INTERNSHIP:
- Browse available volunteer opportunities.
- Fill out our application.
- Have a short interview with a UURISE Team member.
- Discuss current opportunities and availability.
- Applicants for internships will be asked to submit a resume as well.
- Complete a UURISE Volunteer/Intern Agreement.
- Complete UURISE onboarding and appropriate training.
- Start volunteering!
Periodically we have more requests from people wishing to volunteer and intern than we have opportunities available. Because we prioritize building and maintaining a team that reflects the communities we serve, UURISE actively seeks candidates from a wide variety of backgrounds. Placements are determined by availability, skills, understanding of the issues and challenges of our clients, and demonstrated commitment to justice. UURISE is a welcoming and inclusive organization.